Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Day

A few years ago I asked a class on this date what day it was. The answers astonished. Some said it was Tuesday. Some said it was November 11th. None knew that it was Veteran's Day.



I asked if the had ever heard of Armistice Day. None had. I asked if they knew of the end of the "War to End All Wars." None had. I asked if they knew what war that might have been. One volunteered "Vietnam." Another thought maybe Korea. I explained the significance.

Remember:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sgt is one smart looking troop! Whew! LOL!

I asked my students yesterday what they knew about the politics of the Plymouth (Independent) and Mass. Bay (Congregationalist/Presbyterian) Colonies and they knew nothing. They knew nothing of Oliver Cromwell, John Milton, the English Civil War, John Locke, or the Glorious Revolution of 1688. None of them had read Moby-Dick. A few acknowledged they had read The Scarlet Letter, but they didn't really know what it was about. If you don't have knowledge and understanding of the above, how the heck can you understand the Declaration of Independence or the U.S. Constitution?