Monday, November 15, 2010

Forbes on TSA

I wouldn't call Forbes a magazine of extremism. It is a reasonable, rationale and sensible up-scale publication that deals largely with financial issues. It most assuredly has a Tea Party sort of conservative perspective, as in supporting low taxes, free markets, sensible regulation and reduced government interference. It is pure capitalism and not much libertarianism. Actually it tends toward a bit of dullness.

Abolish TSA

If we review the bidding here, we would be hard pressed to identify anyplace where TSA has made us one bit safer. It has largely been passenger awareness and interventions which have dealt with issues on board aircraft. It has been advanced intel and intercepts which have been responsible for other successes. After-the-fact responses of TSA in terms of increased surveillance seldom show any relationship to the acts which spawned them.

But taking off my shoes hasn't done a thing. Confiscating nail clippers isn't helpful. Taking my belt off and putting my laptop in a separate bin isn't preventing a damn thing. Now, getting a giggle over my aging manhood or fondling my butt crack isn't stopping much either.

It is intrusive, it is time consuming, it is expensive, it is irritating, it is frustrating and it is meaningless.

1 comment:

PickYourBattles.Net said...

I'll go with your remedy Razz. To tie two of your posts together, I'd be happy with no line at the airport and an ability to exercise my second amendment rights in flight. I'd like to see a terrorist figure that one out with a plane filled with post 911 armed Americans. It ain't gonna be a problem, and it will be cheaper and it will be a score for the Constitution.

Or if an airline doesn't want guns onboard I'm good with that (private property). Just a mere "fly at your own risk" will work for me. But I like the first option a lot better.