Thursday, January 22, 2009

Respect for the Medal

I've met four Medal of Honor recipients in my life. One, Bud Day, I see every year at the annual River Rats Reunion. Another, Leo Thorsness, was an F-105 instructor pilot at Nellis when I checked out in the airplane. The other two were met at veteran's events. Every time I see the Medal or the tiny blue rosette in a lapel, I consider myself fortunate to have had the experience of seeing these men and of benefitting from their sacrifice. They are rare individuals.

Imagine then, the opportunity to meet 48 of the 99 living MOH recipients in one location at one time. Would you pass it up?

Well, read this:

Choosing the Balls

Now, I'll be fair and acknowledge that there are a lot of competing events all seeking the new President's attention. But, for the last 56 years, this particular gathering has been worthy of a respectful visit. I've heard the accusation that the Messiah's ego couldn't quite stand up to the idea that he might not be the center of attention. But that can't be it. Every time I've met one of these folks I've found them to be self-effacing and humble--even though they have every right to be otherwise.

What was the reason? I can't imagine his opting to be elsewhere.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so profoundly screwed. People elected this guy without any idea who he is.

MagiK said...

What can you expect, during his European tour he showed just how little he regards the men and women in Uniform.

Agree with Bill, we are so freakin screwed. Between Reid, Pelosi and President Obama we face quite a 4 year period.

Kevin said...

MOH recipients deserve respect, period, and the COC should be leading the charge in that regard. I think this is very telling as to the Messiahs priorities. How disappointing and unfortunate, although not entirely surprising.

Anonymous said...

The One is merely Clinton writ larger.

He has hired much of Clinton's staff.

His wife is almost as shrill and vicious as Clinton's wife.

And he, obviously, shares Clinton's loathing of the military.

plus ca change, no?