Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Day to Remember

A couple of years ago I asked my American Government class on a November 11th if anybody knew what day it was. Remember, this is a college class, not fifth grade.

One volunteered that it was Tuesday, which it was. Another knew that it was November 11th as opposed to the 10th or 12th. No one knew what special day it was.

I asked if it had a special name like Christmas or Labor Day or Martin Luther King Day. No one knew.

I wondered if maybe it had once been called a different name. Did anyone know what an armistice was? Not a clue.

I volunteered that it was the agreement to stop the fighting of the "War to End All Wars." Did anyone know what war that was? One student, knowing my background, volunteered that it was the Vietnam War. Another thought maybe that would have been Korea.

I gave up and explained that it was World War I and I tried to offer some brief insight into the meat grinder that was trench warfare, the destruction of the very core of European manpower for a generation, the impact of Verdun, Galipoli and Flanders fields and the sacrifices which were made. I tried to get them to consider the several hundred thousand who died in that brutal war. I told them that the armistice was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month and that day was commemorated each year as Armistice Day.

That war didn't end all wars and mankind managed to easily surpass the mayhem of the Great War in only 25 years. Brave men still fight and die for their country and their country acknowledged those sacrifices by changing Armistice Day to Veteran's Day, a day to honor all who have served in uniform.

Now we no longer have a school holiday on 11/11. We don't have much in the way of ceremonies or parades down mainstreet anymore. Students in schools don't have a clue about what sacrifices have allowed them to enjoy their comfortable lives. Other things are more important. Maybe so.

But, today I remember and today I'll try my experiment with another class and see if the results are better.

Hand salute...

2 comments:

Carter Kaplan said...

If it is any consolation, Ed, my college is closed today. Also, my sister reports her kids in the Boston school system have the day off too.

Thanks for what you did. However one might feel about what happened in SEA, your service there represents a model of integrity, raw guts and professional dedication that transcends the historical context and speaks to generations. And thanks also for keeping your oath by sharing your wise counsel in this blog. Salute returned.

This afternoon I am reading Ted Rockwell's book on Rickover, and I can think of nothing more appropriate both to this holiday and to the current national situation. Here's what I mean in a nutshell, from the man himself:

http://www.history.com/video.do?name=americanhistory&bcpid=1676043206&bclid=1729287267&bctid=1614612123

You can always depend on Rickover to clear the air and set the record straight!

Kevin said...

Salute, and thank you!