Sunday, May 23, 2010

"It's Not My Fault"

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt for just a minute or two. Let's say that the 2008 election was really a repudiation of George W. Bush's policy against terror, taxes and social welfare. I don't necessarily believe that it was, but let's start there.

That would mean that sixteen months ago Barack Obama swept into power with a controlling legislature behind him and everything that has occurred since then should be ignored. At least that's what we see here:

We've Got an Overwhelming Majority, But It's Their Fault We Can't Govern

Is there any reason to believe that a strategy such as that will gain traction? How about this:


“The president needs to indict not simply Bush or even Republicans. He is a visionary thinker, and his rhetoric should reflect that,” said Democratic strategist Paul Begala. “I want President Obama to make a consistent, compelling indictment of conservative ideas.”


Do mature adults really seek to shift blame when things aren't working out for them? Generally we don't like or respect people like that. Excuse makers aren't favored in most organizations.

And, how do you make a compelling indictment of conservative ideas? Do Americans really want governmental control of our lives? Do we seek the abandonment of a culture that rewards individual effort and success? Are family values indictable offenses? Should self-sufficiency be opposed? Are higher taxes a goal worth seeking? Is a weaker defense a better course in a dangerous world?

C'mon Mr. Begala, tell me how this works?

2 comments:

juvat said...

I think I'm going to recycle my comment from the post on Condoms in Washington. "I wish the won's mom had insisted."

Unknown said...

I agree with Juvat.