Sunday, March 15, 2009

Can't Do Without It

I raved about the Kindle ebook reader several months ago when I got mine. There's a link on the sidebar here where you can check out the video on Amazon. They've recently released the Kindle II, and if there was anything that was griped about in the first one, it has been pretty much taken care of.

Here's one of many reviews of the gadget:

Better Than Ever

It still strikes a lot of folks as a bit pricey, but I've justified it in my mind by balancing the initial cost against the convenience of having a mini-library in my hands whenever I want it and the fact that best sellers and new releases that I want typically come for $10 rather than the book store average of $25-35. More than 240,000 titles on Amazon for your Kindle and when you want something it gets wirelessly downloaded to your device in a matter of seconds. No postage, no waiting, no monthly connection or subscription costs.

The Kindle meets my criterion for new technology: a product that you don't need until you've got one, then you'll never be without one again. Previous gadgets that met the hurdle for me include TV, microwaves, food processors, cell phones and digital cameras.

No comments: