Wednesday, January 21, 2009

35th and Jackson

When I first saw it, I thought this picture was from the neighborhoods around where I went to college, so long ago on the south side of Chicago. You know, what we now call Obama's "home" district.

Then I thought it might be the back streets of Kabul or Fallujah where the twelfth century mentality doesn't yet recognize indoor plumbing or that 19th century invention, the trash can.

No, this is our nation's capital. This is the mall, the showplace of American democracy. A place I've always walked with reverence and awe for what the Founders had given us. From these hallowed grounds you can turn and see the Capital, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. Along the way there is the World War II Memorial and in the trees to the right of this view is The Wall. It's a place I've always respected.



Apparently there is less reverence and respect among the hope and change crowd. Or maybe this is the first step in the Obama job-creation program? High wage, low training federal jobs for the "working poor"? They make the mess then get paid a lot to clean it up--it may be a perpetual motion machine.

No comments: