Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Menu de Jour

Here's the sort of news article that I'm really not sure about. My spring-loaded paranoia had me ready to believe that this is some sort of depression-era retrospective to show how close the current economic situation is to the Great One in 1932. I mean, really, how depraved for Americans to be eating raccoons!

A Culinary Delight

But, upon reading the piece I discover that it is objective reporting about life in fly-over country where the people know that "food" is often alive before showing up in a stryofoam, shrink-wrapped package in an antiseptic grocery mega-store display case. Occasionally "food" was foraging in your garden just last week for food of its own. Sometimes it looks like Bambi and Thumper or one of those characters from "Over the Hedge."

Regardless of the cuteness factor, it is nutritious, tasty and often a delicacy to be savored when one is lucky enough to get some. Yep. Americans are eating raccoons in the heartland. It is important to note, however that it is not because they have to, but because they want to. I wonder how that will play in Manhattan and San Francisco?



No comments: