Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Note to Fox TV

I just sat through another football season in which, apparently, there is not a single audio engineer who can mix sound to let the important stuff be the focus. Frankly, I think that Joe Buck and Troy Aikman are the best commentary team since Al Michaels and John Madden. Yet there is no volume setting on my TV that lets me hear the commentary over the crowd noise. I know what a crowd sound like, I want to know what the play-by-play is saying.

Last night it appeared that the football broadcast sound crew was handling American Idol. It is a singing competition and the important part is the contestants, not the back-up band and chorus do-wop singers.

Now, paranoid type that I am, I did note that not all of the singers got the audio burial treatment. Some came through clearly, which leads me to consider that there is some "shaping" going on to predispose winners.

Nah, that's too evil.

No comments: