Thursday, January 13, 2011

Campaign Stop

It was expected that the Messiah would appear at the Tucson memorial service for the six victims of the mass shooting in Tucson. It was totally appropriate. A member of Congress, a congressional aide, a federal judge, a 9-year old girl and a dozen others were shot by a loon who quite clearly should have been under lock and key with heavy meds if bureaucrats had been doing their jobs.

I will confess that my aversion to the man overcame my professional responsibility last night. I simply could not bear to watch the ping-pong match presentation style as he shifts from left to right to left teleprompters in his chin-up Mussolini profile uttering platitudes. There was considerable hype about this being a defining moment for the man. He could redeem the empty campaign promise of bi-partisanship. He could demonstrate a disavowal for the empty rhetoric and duplicitous linkages of his own party. He could speak without politics about a loss, shattered lives, and a brighter future. Or this:
Or he could make it a campaign stop. That is what he and his crew know how to do much better than leading a nation. I caught him working the rope-line, shaking hands, grinning, posing for photo-ops and uttering those little sweet nothings which politicians do to potential voters to make them feel "special."

But, have you ever in your life gone to a funeral or memorial service and come back with a commemorative T-shirt?

5 comments:

Buzz said...

Really???? It doesn't surprise me but, really??? Thanks for the update, I was busy reorganizing my sock drawer...missed the whole thing...Keep up the good work!!!

Ed Skinner said...

The word is "repugnant."
Somebody really blew it.

Anonymous said...

I was disgusted by the cheering and screamimg by the cheerleaders in the audience. I commented to my wife and son who happened to be on the phone. I thought I must be a grump or totally out of it. I must not get. Wrong-many commentators picked up on this breach of etiquette and immature behavior. Our young people don't know how to behave. Everything is a rock concert to them. AZJack

bongobear said...

I didn't even try to watch Obama. The man disgusts me too much.
Having read about the T-shirts I must admit that his crew surprised me with their callousness. I wonder how the victim's families felt about the shirts...I assume they all got one.

Anonymous said...

He has learned to "never waste a crisis" in the parlance of his former chief of staff. This example is especially bad.
An Obamanation.