Sunday, January 16, 2011

Looking Beyond Today

Yesterday was a mixed bag for me, football-wise. I don't like the Steelers. I liked them back in the days of Bradshaw, Steel Curtain, Rocky Bleir, etc. But today, not so much. But, then again I don't like the Ravens either. Between the two, I dislike the Raven less so when Pittsburgh pulled the game out in the fourth quarter I was a bit disappointed. Regardless, both teams played a ragged game like a bunch of thugs. Whichever one would win would be simply snack food for the Patriots, Brady and Belichick.

The amazing game was the second one. The Packers dismantled Atlanta. It was a clinic for quarterbacks as Aaron Rodgers scrambled, passed, ran and directed an offensive juggernaut. This was the clear demonstration of a well-coached team peaking at the right time.

Today's games are not the two or three point spreads that yesterday's were. Apparently the "smart money" of sports pundits has determined that the Jets are no match for the Pats and the Seagles are meat for the Bears. Ten point favorites in both games.

That leads me to anticipate next week and frankly, as a Chicago boy, I'm conflicted.

The match-ups that are predictable are Steelers at the Pats and Pack at Chicago. Based on yesterday's play I would say there is no way the undisciplined thugs of Pittsburgh can match the well-honed system that is New England. That game should be another walk-over for Brady.

Chicago and Green Bay are division mates. They've been neighbors and rivals for a hundred years. They face each other twice a year, every single year. In the modern era the record favors the Packers. This season they split, with the Bears winning the early season game and the Pack winning a squeaker on the last day of regular season play.

Last games of the season are often irrelevant. The division winners have usually been determined so the scores don't tell us much. In this case, however, they might signal a peaking of the Pack. If last night was a sign, I'd say the Bears are really going to have their work cut out for them. Jay Cutler doesn't bring the package that Aaron Rodgers does.

My heart goes with Chicago next week, but my head says the Pack is very much back. Either one will be a fine representative of the NFC going into the Super Bowl. But only the Packers would have a prayer against the Patriots. Super Bowl will be Packers and Pats with New England coming out on top.

Let's see if I can predict the sunrise in the morning or whether I should sit quietly and sip my beer.

4 comments:

bongobear said...

Wrong, Ed. Pats lost.

Dweezil Dwarftosser said...

Hah! i want to see Da Bears and the J-j-j-Jets!

Remember: "On any given Sunday ..." !

MagiK said...

Steelers should stomp the Jets, unless they fail to show up

Steelers / Bears Superbowl oh yeah.....have to bring people like Mike Ditka, Rosey Greer, aand Jack Lambert out of retirement to go see that one :D

Ed Rasimus said...

That's why they play the games! The Jets brought it. The Pats left it home.

The Bears looked a lot better than I expected, but I'm still going with the Pack.

I better keep my day job and stay away from bookies.