Sunday, October 04, 2009

Delving Into the Mire

I'm ambivalent this morning. Uusally I'm an optimist. I always try to find the positive, even when I'm pointing out the negatives in our society. The mere fact that I find the outrage at the outrageous still exists is re-inforcing. Yet, the focus on trivialities, the contortions of the situational morality, and the exploitation of the abject ignorance of the American electorate is beginning to prevail.

Want to know why the mainstream print media is going bankrupt? Try this piece of critical "news" from the blog of the Chicago Tribune:

Anniversary Dinner Date

Yes, folks, that's reporting by the newspaper of record in my old hometown. Just back from a dual-jet trip to Copenhagen, the royal couple step out in DC for a quiet little dinner. The reporter notes they both were in black (how festive for an anniversary!), and the fish courses at the restaurant cost less than $30, but he doesn't know what they ordered!

But, stepping back from phony celebrity, let's go with a real celebrity commenting on a real celebrity with a bit of a problem:

We've Got A Different View

Yes, folks, Whoopi defines a new crime, "rape-rape". I guess that's the one where you use a club rather than Qualudes on a 13 year old. She goes on to specify,

Would I want my 14-year-old having sex with somebody? Not necessarily, no.


Is that like a "maybe"?

Maybe your menu for the day would deal with a bit of supervisory transgression? That's a popular euphemism for pulling a Lewinski. I don't refer here to a bit of adult behavior between consenting big folks. What I mean is the practice of "hey, I'm the boss and was wondering if you'd like to improve your position in the organization by taking a position vis-a-vis, me." It's usually followed by either a job search or a need for a hot bath. When it is applied to "several" staff members, it becomes a predatory practice.

--Regretably the 10 minute video which was here has been blocked by the network which thought it was pretty funny when David Letterman did it--

But, it makes a funny monologue and the villain turns out to be the guy who threatens to point it out or keep it quiet for some money. Extortion is bad, but what about the original behavior pattern? And, what about the long history of villification of folks he doesn't agree with for similar behavior? Isn't this a "glass house dweller stone heaver" situation? In the TV studio it generates applause and laughter!

I top off my weekend with a slightly fuzzy feeling that this bottom-dwelling, bentozoic, slime-eating slug is facing a box-office disaster:

Capitalism, A Love Story

What is most amazing is that Moore doesn't really credit a free market capitalist system with his own personal wealth.

At least Obama, B; Obama, M; and Oprah; were soundly rebuffed by, drum-roll please, the entire bloody world in Copenhagen!

No comments: