Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Defining the Fantasy World

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history...

The inability to call a spade a spade is problematic. When that unwillingness to name the names that are critical to the discussion becomes policy you are building a huge future problem.

Islamic Terrorists No Longer a Problem

Let me take a few quotes from that frightening news item:

Obama's advisers will remove religious terms such as "Islamic extremism" from the central document outlining the U.S. national security strategy and will use the rewritten document to emphasize that the United States does not view Muslim nations through the lens of terror


OK, and who are these other terrorists who have been plaguing us for the last twenty years or more? Any Presbyterian John Josephson's on the roster?

"You take a country where the overwhelming majority are not going to become terrorists, and you go in and say, 'We're building you a hospital so you don't become terrorists.' That doesn't make much sense," said National Security Council staffer Pradeep Ramamurthy.


OK, why are we building them a hospital then? Are they buried somewhere in the healthcare reform legislation? You twit! That's exactly why we are building the bloody hospital!

Ramamurthy runs the administration's Global Engagement Directorate, a four-person National Security Council team that Obama launched last May with little fanfare and a vague mission to use diplomacy and outreach "in pursuit of a host of national security objectives."

Since then, the division has not only helped change the vocabulary of fighting terror but also has shaped the way the country invests in Muslim businesses, studies global warming, supports scientific research and combats polio.


That makes it clear. "..a host of national security objectives." Diplomacy and outreach to combat polio??? Didn't Jonas Salk do something about that in the '50s?

Why is the country investing in Muslim businesses? Where in the Constitution does it say that the federal government is empowered to invest in foreign businesses with ownership from a particular religion?

And global warming? Don't get me started.

"Do you want to think about the U.S. as the nation that fights terrorism or the nation you want to do business with?" Ramamurthy said.


Pradeep, may I call you Prad? Would you be offended if I told you that was a faulty dilemma? I want you to think about the US as a bright shining city on a hill which the rest of the world would aspire to emulate.

What I am seeing here is an administration run amok. I don't find much background on Pradeep Ramamurthy online through Google or Bing. I get more hits on my own name than this guy's. I learn that he's Muslim (surprise!) and not much more. Where was he born, how old, where educated, what qualifications? I'm hoping that more surfaces here.

Frankly, I'm going to ignore Pradeep. I'm still going to call a Jihadi an Islamic fundamentalist and a terrorist.

5 comments:

Ed Rasimus said...

I only offer what was found online. I assumed initially that he would be hindu as well. The available information on his background which comes up on Google or Bing searches is close to zero.

I found one site which noted that he was Muslim. Since a large number of both Indians and Pakistanis are Muslim, I did not assume that to be unusual.

But, if you can't communicate in reasonable words here, we can take care of that.

Until that point I will concede that there are people more intelligent than I, but I won't be referred to as "a dumbass" particularly by someone hiding behind anonymity.

My world travels are a matter of public record. And I long ago lost the required flexibility to get my head up my ass.

Anonymous said...

Ramamurthy would an odd Muslim name since it's literally got a Hindu god (rama) in it. Glad to know you trust one site though that said he's Muslim - says a lot about the credibility of the information on your blog.

Ed Rasimus said...

"A rose by any other name would" still conceivably be a Muslim. The point is that I found only one place with any information and that was very brief. I pointed that out. Whether Pradeep is Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or Wiccan has absolutely no impact on what the post addresses.

If you can provide a link with a bio of Mr. Ramamurthry I would be happy to offer a prominent retraction of the mischaracterization.

Now would you like to address the subject of the posting?

Carter Kaplan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carter Kaplan said...

Ed, you wrote:

"Why is the country investing in Muslim businesses? Where in the Constitution does it say that the federal government is empowered to invest in foreign businesses with ownership from a particular religion? "

This might be questionable to a person with Jeffersonian sympathies (sympathies I share, of course) but from a business and political perspective, evidently, those sympathies are out of favor.

Jefferey Hodges has recently posted some interesting pieces on closely-related matters:

Gypsy Scholar

It may or may not be significant that in Byrne, his last novel, Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) predicts that Muslim extremism--ironically supported by the movement to unify Europe--will at last destroy Europe.