Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Imagination Is a Terrible Thing to Waste

"Assault weapons", "Cop-killer bullets", "Plastic Guns to evade airport security", "Sniper rifles", "Street-Sweepers", "High Noon in Suburbia", there is always some sort of new imaginary threat created by the hoplophobes to encourage gun banning legislation.

The problem is that as America grows more politically correct and pussified, each new generation knows less and less about firearms. When Sgt. York was growing up in the mountains every boy knew how to shoot a rifle. The result was a nation of riflemen that won WW I and II. Boy Scouts earned marksmanship merit badges and the coming of age ceremony of a first .22 rifle was an event. We all knew that the Christmas Story catch-line of "you'll shoot your eye out, kid!" was a joke.

Now more than half the country is convinced that a firearm in the home will someday activate itself and seek the humans out to shoot them in their beds. Mere existance of a gun will inevitably result in deaths in the family, apparently without human intervention.

Assault weapons aren't black rifles with strange sights and lights attached. They are selective fire military tools with an option for full automatic fire. Looking like one but as semi-automatics with only one shot per trigger pull makes them no different than a revolver. A name that sounds dangerous is a political ploy.

Cop-killer bullets are nothing more than regular bullets designed for personal defense, no more or less lethal than those with less ominous names. Guns with "plastic" grips still have metal barrels and actions so they don't evade security. Sniper rifles are bolt action rifles with scoped sights such as deer hunters have used for 60 years routinely. And so on. Creating the illusion of threat where none exists leads to fear which leads to a demand for legislation.

Which brings us to the "Gun Show Loophole."

Look for a deluge of media blather on the topic coming soon to a cable TV station near you:

Dictators of Democrat Cities Seek to Breed Fear

Have you found the gun show loophole? I know where it is. Have you been to a gun show? Did you see all of those tables of guns for sale? Did you see those people behind the tables selling guns? Did you ever buy one? Did you sneak through the loophole?

Those dealers are just that; federally licensed gun dealers. They hold an FFL. They keep required records of their inventory. They comply with federal law on background checks for all sales. If you buy a gun at a gun show from one of the vendors you will undergo a federal background check and complete all of the legal paperwork just as if you purchased in a gun store.

So, where's the gun show loophole that is so dangerous?

It's me and you.

If I own a gun and I wish to sell it to you, we are the loophole. I have some personal property and you wish to buy it for an agreed price. We don't have to complete a background check. Loophole!!!!!

Now, for me to get an inventory of guns and try to make a business out of the sale, I'll have to undergo a background check for every purchase. So, it is extremely unlikely I will become a black market dealer. If I want to buy in volume for a business, I'll probably get an FFL. And then I'll need to complete a background check on all my sales. Loophole closed.

What do the mayors want me to do when I wish to sell one of my guns? My suspicion is that they don't want me to be able to sell or give away my guns or even transfer them to my heirs. They want my guns confiscated. That isn't about to happen.

Molon Labe.

3 comments:

sofa said...

Well said.

jjet said...

"My suspicion is that they don't want me to be able to sell or give away my guns or even transfer them to my heirs."

They'll get your guns when they pry them out of my cold, dead fingers, Raz.

nzgarry said...

Keep fighting the good fight.
Pistol ownership is illegal down here (New Zealand) and even the police dont routinely carry them.
What we do have though is high levels of violent crime, see here...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10499320

These low lifes operate in the sure knowledge that no more harm will come to them than the low chance of (another) criminal conviction.

I could go on and on about this but
it's all been said, good luck.