Thursday, March 17, 2011

Working Holiday

Back from a break in the grind for a couple of days in Ft. Worth. Had an invite to speak to the B-36 Peacemaker Society, a group of aviation historians, former aviators and Carswell/Lock-Mart airplane builders. Enjoyed offering my interpretation of the Vietnam Air War to the group on Tuesday night and then took advantage of the opportunity to spend some time in the Stockyards Historic District.

Stayed at the Stockyards Hotel, a truly historic building with links back to Bonnie & Clyde, Dillinger, and the real old west. Felt a bit like a Humphrey Bogart film noir scene with a room that actually had the neon lights of the bar downstairs flashing in the window. Fortunately authentic wooden shutters could black it out, but it definitely oozed atmosphere. Didn't quite embrace the brass tub plumbing and the wooden flush box toilet, but it is authentic and historic.

Downstairs was the H3 BBQ restaurant with some ribs the SWMBO (who doesn't particularly like BBQ) pronounced outstanding. I had a chicken-fried steak which is sort of a "never-pass" indulgence of mine. Once every couple of months probably won't be immediately fatal.

Saw the longhorn cattle drive down exchange street and roamed the region. Got my boots shined, resisted a silver and gold buckle that would commemorate a rodeo I was never in and cursed my departure rush for the trip that caused me to leave my Stetson home. NEVER AGAIN! This is Texas and my hat goes with me from now on!

Last night was the best dining experience I have ever had in Texas, bar none. And that includes the now defunct "Le Reve" in San Antonio that was named one of the 10 best in America as well as the remarkable San Antonio steakhouse, Bohannan's.

The spot was Tim Love's "Lonesome Dove Western Bistro" and don't let the name put you off.

Lonesome Dove

Top to bottom the menu was remarkable, the service was impeccable, the food excellent and the experience memorable. The "warm ancho chile chocolate cake with roasted pepita ice cream" was the sort of desert you can eat the last bite and then say, "Take me Lord, because I have lived to find perfection."

Ya know, I'm sort of beginning to think that cowboy culture in Ft. Worth might be better than that oil money snobbishness that manifests every so often in Big D.

Gotta do more research. I know. A thankless chore, but I'll do it for you.

3 comments:

bongobear said...

I was flying FJ's out of NAS Dallas back in the 60's and used to go to Ft Worth frequently. I liked it much better then Dallas.
I guess you know the world has gone to hell while you were cavorting in Ft. Worth.

an Donalbane said...

But of course.

Fort Worth is where the West begins.

Dallas is just where the East peters out...

Like you, I wasn't born here, but that doesn't mean I can't have a bit o' the Amon Carter spirit.

Harry said...

Sweet, something we both have in common: We both own Stetsons.