Thursday, October 13, 2011

He Shares My Pain

Yesterday was roll-out day for iOS 5, the long-anticipated major operating system upgrade for all things "i'. In preparation I had dutifully upgraded my iTunes installation to the required ver. 10.5. Through the day I periodically launched iTunes and plugged my iPad or iPhone in. A check for version updates indicated it was still iOS 4.3. Finally about three in the afternoon, I got the long-awaited "A new operating system upgrade is available. Do you want to upgrade to iOS 5?"

After a warning the back-up, upgrade and restore could take as much as an hour, I clicked on the go-button. I watched the progress as first a massive download took place then a system restore of all my apps and settings and then finally about forty minutes into it, "Upgrade failed".

Whoa! What now? I read the detailed error message. It asks if I've got iTunes 10.5. I have. It cautions that my security software could interfere. I turn off my firewall. I try again. Same result. Failure.

Now I'm in retrench territory. I click on the "Restore" option to go back to where I was. System grinds away for about twenty minutes and then "Restore Failed. Error 3200."

So I get out the trusty customer support web-page for Apple. You fill out a short problem form, enter your product ID code and iTunes account then choose whether you want an immediate phone call, a call at a future time, or an email contact. I chose immediate call-back. The phone rang within a few seconds.

I describe my problem to the clearly American tech support person, obviously not in a phone bank in Bangladesh with a phrase book. He listens and then says, "The same thing happened to me when I tried to upgrade. I don't know the answer. I plan to try again tomorrow." Well, at least I know my problem is not isolated. We converse and finally agree that it might be that Apple servers are over-loaded. I suggest they might tell you that earlier in the time investment process or more clearly in the error message. He agrees. We commiserate for a few minutes and then hang-up.

Try again about twenty minutes later and upgrade goes smoothly. I thought I should call the tech support guy and maybe help him out.

4 comments:

juvat said...

Yes, well, when you belong to the dark side....
My installation of Win Phone 7.5 Mango went quite smoothly (after I hacked the upgrade queue).

MagiK said...

Now that Jobs is dead, I might look at an Ipad...maybe. Im waiting to see what the free market comes up with in the way of Tablets next year.

Ed Skinner said...

Nice when you provide technical support to Technical Support. Are they paying you for that?

Sarge said...

I agree with Ed Skinner, you should be paid for your time anyway.