Monday, October 03, 2011

Playing at Third World

The mindless nature of the modern college student is something which never ceases to amaze me. We've just witnessed an Arab Spring and a Euro-Zone economic meltdown. In the former we saw nations of oppressed, poverty-stricken people take to the streets to oust brutal and oppressive dictators. In the latter we learned that when nations with significant disparity in their economic situations surrender a critical aspect of their sovereignty, i.e. the ability to control their own currency, severe consequences will ensue.

Both of those events offer opportunity for serious education. There are lessons for students to learn if only there were faculty to teach them.

Instead we get this:

Occupy Wall Street Movement Grows

Students have always been a fertile population for fomenting protest. They don't examine issues very deeply and they are both idealistic and emotional. They dream of a perfect world in which all mankind lives in harmony, where all needs are met, where cannabis grows in gardens and work is done by 'droids.

Plant the seed of class warfare and it grows like a weed without much water and responsive to fertilization with only a bit more steer droppings applied. I spotted the pernicious meme about eighteen months ago and pointed out that the dichotomy suggested is false. The idea of an oppositional Wall Street and Main Street is ludicrous.

Main Street is where Americans live and work and save to invest in businesses which thrive, succeed, create profits and are traded on Wall Street. They are symbiotic entities.

The unwashed, bearded, and outraged protesters seem blissfully unaware of that.

Inspired For Action

Yes, they want "action"! I guess that's the latest iteration of "hope and change"!
"Everyone has this problem," he said, "White, black. Rich or poor. Where you live. Everyone has a financial inequity oppressing them."
See how simple it is to understand that? You've got a financial inequity oppressing you. If we could simply eliminate financial inequity then we'd all be happy. You have more than me? Then to be fair I must get some of yours. I must bring everyone down to my level if they have more. I must raise everyone up to my level if I am successful even if I don't know them or particularly care for them.

Who could possibly be so wise? Who will decide who should have how much of my stuff?  Even Solomon knew that the baby would never be cut in half. My property will be cut in half over my dead body and only then.

Wait a sec! I know who can handle this redistribution for us. Yes folks, it looks like a job for the Bamster.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Wonder why they haven't tried this stuff in Fort Worth?

[Snicker.]