Friday, August 08, 2008

May You Live in Interesting Times

The Chinese curse has been operative in my life as far back as I can remember. I’m not a pessimist or conspiracy theorist, but I like to think I’m an observer of events who can make rational observations. Please keep in mind that just because we disagree doesn’t mean either of us is irrational.

Over dinner the other night, SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) asked who I thought would win the Presidential election. Like all good political pundits, I waffled. I told her who I hoped would win. That wasn’t the answer to the question. I told her who I feared would win. She knew that already. I turned it around and asked who she thought would take it. She was optimistic based on the declines following the Berlin Bounce which didn’t really equal more than a speed bump on the road to Washington. But she pressed the issue.

A moment of serious reflection and I was enlightened. A eureka moment transpired. None of the above was my last and final answer. (I didn’t use any of my Life Lines, either.) Neither of the expected nominees will win in November.

No way, she said. I tried to frame my epiphany for her. To get you into the mood take a look at this from American Thinker:

I Thought So!

And from a fair and balanced perspective:

Let The Healing Begin

That is the scenario that’s been in the back of my mind since the end of June. The Wicked Witch won’t go away, not even if the Democratic house falls on her or Dorothy pours water. Things happen around the Clintons and they don’t always follow the script. That’s how they get away with them. No one thinks it can happen and it isn’t until days, weeks or months afterward that the conspiracy theorists and critical analyzers combine to put facts together and get the causative factors in line. By that time the fait is definitely accompli.

That’s one scenario. But there are others that don’t involve skullduggery. This is, after all racist America and few can deny that elements still exist in our society which haven’t moved along from the civil rights battles of the ‘60s. We cultured Americans often lean toward assassinations as a means of politics. That isn’t something to be particularly proud of, but it is undeniably the elephant in the room. That sort of disastrous event could trigger riots and destruction which boggle any sane person’s mind. Yet the reality remains.

America also tends to embrace scandal quite vigorously. Disclosure of significant questionable activity could derail either prospective candidate; the result being nomination or last minute replacement by someone out of the party bull pen. Outcome: none of the above from the current expected choice.

And then, let’s not forget that McCain is on the inexorable downhill side of life. Over seventy, people often simply wake up dead. That also would lead to a last minute replacement. Again, the outcome is none of the currently above.

Increasingly I look for interesting times ahead. I’m incredibly apathetic about this round of Olympics. There will be never ending ceremonies, boring odd-ball sporting activities, requisite political posturing and intermittent demonstrations being surpressed. I look two weeks further for my entertainment. My pressing question these days is a paraphrase of Hitler’s, “Is Denver burning?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the b-day wish.

Did get to play with the T-39 for a bit as a employee of a govt agency, working with Raytheon and Pensacola. Was fun while it lasted.

Miss Hutch and those guys. Six years now.

Anonymous said...

thanks. . got about 1100 hours PIC in it. Was a nice bird.