Monday, September 06, 2010

Clio Not Calling

I'm regularly asked about the next book project. It seems reasonable to consider something although I never hesitate to explain to folks that book writing for all but a handful of very talented people is a labor of love not money. For cash in hand, I would be better off seeking a mid-management position at the local Subway. And, I could nibble on what I couldn't sell.

I've used up my wars and been fortunate enough to be part of the preservation of Robin's story. That means I've got to cull my past to find something of interest or figure out how to write compelling fiction. There aren't enough readers of ThunderTales to create a demand for a book of my political musings or initiate a request from a metropolitan newspaper for editorial contributions.

For a while, actually still, my wife has been pressing me to string the anecdotes of my upbringing together into another memoir. Growing up in an apartment in Chicago with a hypochondriac, narcissistic mother and an alcoholic, under-appreciated father has many elements of a salable book. It might be a cross between Mommy Dearest and Catcher in the Rye. The problem is building a flow of the events of a life time and sustaining the story of my mother without it being a conscious attempt to either gild her or admit her very serious shortcomings. I'm totally ambivalent on it.

There is always the option of staying within established genre. That could mean another flying book and there are two potential stories there. One is the pilot training years and the other is the peacetime fighter pilot in Cold War Europe. Each could be interesting, but neither seems likely to fill a demand or stir up a market.

That leaves fiction. Frankly, I don't know how people do that. Stephen King offered a handy little throw-away book with the accurate, though unimpressive title, "On Writing" which explains his prolific output. The question of creativity is dealt with by King simply by not worrying about it. His method is to create characters and then place them in a context. That's all there is to it. Then he lets his characters speak and act in a manner consistent with the personae which he has created for them. Voila! A story appears.

Clearly that requires a talent which only a few like King possess. Most of us have to have a story to tell with a beginning and an end. I don't know that I do yet.

There are enough "characters" in the tactical aviation community to populate a shelf full of novels. I know Tom Wilson who has done some great novels on the fighter business and those of us who were there can clearly identify a bunch of the players. I've had several conversations on fiction writing with Mark Berent, whose six part Vietnam saga draws heavily on his experiences in the war. Each of them have a skill which I've not yet found for myself.

I leave the office door open. Maybe one of these days the rustling behind my chair won't be the dog coming in to curl up or bark at me to put some food in his bowl. Maybe it will be the muse with the boot in the butt to push me into the book. I leave the door open...

5 comments:

bongobear said...

You're a very good writer Ed. I, for one, would buy a book based on your experiences after Viet Nam. I would think that you could sell a new book to the people who bought your previous offerings.

Farmbroker said...

Raz,

You simply MUST move forward on this "4th" project. There is just too much interest in your "other" years for us book-owners and blog-followers, for you NOT to do it. Your writing skills are suppassed only by your former apparent flying skills... so... just do it and we will buy it!

Hippo said...

How about something about your post SEA years along the lines of G.I. Basel's "The River Rat"? which is on my book shelf along with "Pak Six" and your 3 books? Just a thought.

nzgarry said...

Ed,
In general agreement with bongobear and farmbroker though I suspect the market would be rather small.
From what you wrote in this post and some others previously on your life I think you would have a lot of material for writing fiction based on fact. All the elements of against the odds struggle and doubtless professional intrigue are there.
I have only read 'Thunder of your books so far. One aspect that made it memorable for me was that you wrote well in the first person. The reader felt "there" with you.
Is it such a step to bring a fictional character to life in the same way?.
Also, does the character have to be male?. I dont see much fiction out there with a woman in the pilot seat. Maybe us crusty male fans of yours wouldnt buy it but we'd all be delighted to see you make a lot of money!

Just a thought. I'm sure Clio will appear.

LauraB said...

Frankly, I'd love a "making of" book - to know what got you into that seat. That it would be a wonderful warts and all type = more interesting.

As for fiction? Easy enough - societal breakdown and where do all the aircraft and pilots go if the orders are...untenable.

But that's just me...