Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Mistaken Act of Kindness

It was a cold, snowy day on the north Texas range when a cowboy, hat slung low to shield his face from the biting wind, rode along a snow-dusted trail. His horse shied and a dozen yards ahead he saw a snake lying in the trail. It wasn't moving.

He dismounted and went forward to check on the snake. He could see the reptile's sides moving slowly as it struggled for breath. He leaned forward and the snake spoke to him, "I'm soooo cold. I can't move. I think I'm dying. Will you help me? Will you warm me up?"

The cowboy had never encountered a talking snake before and he was a kind-hearted soul. He reached forward and picked up the snake. He saw the rattles, crusted with ice and felt the stiffness of the snakes long body as it tried to straighten outself against the cold. Sympathetically he tucked the snake into his duster where the warmth of his body was trapped. He remounted and continued on his way. He thought it would be exciting in the bunkhouse when he introduced his talking snake to the other hands.

About fifteen minutes passed and the snake warmed up. It turned against his chest and bit him just above his heart. As he fell to the ground he looked into the eyes of the talking snake who said, "well, you knew I was a snake when you picked me up."

The Snake Speaks to the Union

There is justice in this. The unions embraced the Messiah. They gave their time, their money and their votes. Their belief was that they would benefit from the relationship. Now they see that the snake has always been a snake. Once he's been warmed he'll bite whomever he is within range of.

1 comment:

MagiK said...

I heard that story with a scorpion and a fox....but just as true, either way.