Saturday, August 27, 2011

Fellow Traveler

I've become exceptionally cynical in my dotage. I'm increasingly unable to take anything at face value. Show me a chart, a quotation, a picture, or an email of outrage that says "forward to everyone you know" and I will question it, dismantle it, analyze it and come up with a totally different conclusion than the original intended.

Try it yourself. You will be amazed at what you begin to see and understand.

Today's exercise started with the link that said a congressman had been invited by Qaddafi to Libya with all-expenses paid to "broker peace." That immediately piques my curiosity.

Who is the congress-critter? What makes Qaddafi think this individual is credentialed to function in that role? Where in the Constitution does it allocate foreign negotiation responsibility to a congress member?

All-Expense Paid Vacation to Beautiful Sea-Side Luxury Hotel in Tripoli

See what you get?

Arguably the weirdest member of an organization which is known for being a bit off-kilter, Dennis Kucinich is the potential peace-maker. Has he ever done this before? Well, he's no Jimmy Carter or Jesse Jackson in that regard. He is, however, a certified pacifist and appeaser.

So, did he pack his American Tourister luggage and head for the Mediterranean coastal paradise? Nope! He feared for his security. Wow, what a courageous diplomat! He went instead to Syria!

I guess that proves conclusively where he has the greatest respect among international leaders.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I agree with the dissecting of please forward to everyone. I have found I am destined to rot in hell and the fleas of a thousand camels are going to infest my armpits. But I will only forward a good joke, if I like it, and then to only folks that can relate to it.