Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Where Were You When...

There are certain events in our lives that elicit the query, "do you remember where you were when..." you heard it happened. Certainly for my parents such a moment was the attack on Pearl Harbor. I'm sure there were others.

For me, there was the news flash that the President had been shot in Dallas. I was in my senior year in college. I was in the ROTC building lounge where I had been handling coordination for the annual Navy/AF military ball. I was the project officer and making some last minute arrangements. The news came and the rest of my day was filled with cancelling the activity and wondering what would happen for the future of our nation. We'd lost our President and in my short life I'd only known two others; Eisenhower and Truman.

Another was the 9/11 attack. I was working at my home office desk in Colorado finishing up a few things before getting dressed to head to the college for a couple of classes. The phone rang and a friend from my AF days called from Atlanta to tell me to turn on the TV . I did so, just in time for the second impact.

And, there was this one. I had just returned from four years in Spain and was checking in at Air University at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery Alabama. I was walking into the AU library at the center of the huge campus ring that contained Squadron Officer School, Air Command & Staff College, and Air War College. There was the morning newspaper in the rack announcing that the King had died.

He'd had his career roller-coaster, but he changed our music forever. He epitomized rock-n-roll and despite the cheesy movies and the glitter glam Vegas shows he was undeniably a talent:

No comments: