Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reasonable Suspicion and Freedom

We are under attack. No doubt or questions about that. Commercial airplanes are an effective vector for that sort of operation. No questions there. We require some screening to enhance, but obviously never guarantee, our safety. No debate.

But, what is reasonable? Where does the line fall between reasonable and outrageous? What is the limit of tolerance? Can our questionably capable government make a rational determination?

If you travel on airplanes you've obviously met the TSA. They work hard and in the ensuing ten years since 9/11 they have gotten maybe a bit more efficient but undeniably more intrusive. It is the nature of bureaucracy. The measure of success is growth in budget and manpower and tasks. There is no profit bottom line and the linkage between TSA and thwarted terrorist attacks is often tenuous. Customer satisfaction isn't in the equation.

Can we be honest though? Does taking my shoes off really make us safer? If my briefcase is going through a scanner with my cell-phone, my Kindle, my camera, and my automobile Smart-key inside, why must I take my laptop out and put it in a separate bin? If I'm going through a magnetometer and potential wanding why must I also remove my coat and belt? Why is a one-quart Zip-loc safer than a sandwich size? Why is a pint of shampoo and a can of hairspray safe in checked baggage, but dangerous if in an overhead compartment? Can a bottle of Scotch with an unbroken seal really threaten anyone but the eventual imbiber?

Most importantly, is there any indication that TSA staff are any smarter than the lowest wage burger flippers at Micky D's? Seriously, are there a generation of kids growing up aspiring to the black pants, white shirt and crepe-soled shoes of a TSA gate agent? What do you want to be when you grow up, Suzy? "Oh, Daddy, I want to be able to do sausage checks on hunky guys all day."

If passengers find it intrusive, imagine what it would be like to be aircrew doing it several times a day for several days a week.

My Dear, What Big xxxx's You Have!

And This Won't Hurt a Bit--For the First Ten Years

Of course, if you don't want the Neanderthals making snide comments about your "package" or your bra supplements, you can get this:

Oh Baby, Baby!

My doctor gets to probe my body. Some nameless high-school drop out with a Mall Cop uniform doesn't. Previously my airplane vs drive cut-off fell about 600-800 miles. Getting in my car with my stuff and traveling at my convenience simply beats the hell out of a 90 minute commute to the airport for a two hour early show time to allow abuse, followed by an unpleasant sardine can experience and discourteous handling at all levels.

I'll simply take my chances.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Dear Lord, Ed! It's a government program. Why would you expect that it make any sense whatsoever?
Like all government programs, it started by trying to "reinvent the wheel". Rather than copying procedures from someone who knows what they're doing, like the Israelis, our bureaucrats simply throw mud at the wall until it looks like we're covered. The appearance of doing something to guard our security is more important to them than actually making air travel more secure.

MagiK said...

Your driving cut off limit will be addressed anon, as they impose carbon taxes and impossible CAFE standards for internal combustion engines, you wont be able to get a "personal" vehicle with the range necessary to make those 600 to 800 mile trips...it will be 100 mile round trip or public transportation only.

(Much cynicism and sarcasm intended)

LauraB said...

Ed, why on earth haven't you just gotten an aircraft?!

Our decision factor in driving? Is it within the United States? Driving.

But then I am a Professional Passenger - I even peel boiled peanuts for the driver. Makes the miles roll on by.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what we've gotten ourselves into. "Dubya" is a decent man, but he let the Democrats buffalo him into things, and TSA ranks as one of the worst. About two years ago I flew out of Orland. Before I even got to TSA I had to pass through some private security firm. I don't recall the name, but they wore red blazers. There were six of them, and they spoke Spanish to each other the entire time. They didn't even have the courtesy to speak to me in English, the lingua franca of our country. (and they didn't realize that I know some Spanish). They simply conversed with one another in Spanish, took my boarding pass and scrawled something on it (initials, I presume) and sent me to TSA where I had to take off my shoes and all of that fun stuff. I have no idea what was accomplished by passing through six people who didn't even speak English and having one of them take three seconds to grab my boarding pass and scrawl on it. No doubt, though, that the price of my ticket included a markup to pay for the "security" that they provided. Like you, my drive/fly level has increased substantially. In fact, I have a 10-hour drive coming up in two weeks. Oh, and should I fly again I'll make it a point to wear the nastiest, stinkiest pair of unwashed socks that I can find.