Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Darwin Cheated

I've never been that big into having a souvenir baseball for my mantel. Sure, when I attend a ball game I think it might be neat if as the culmination of an act of self-defense I found a baseball in my hand. One Rockies game the guy I was with snagged a ball that came our way down the right field line just past first base. We were on ground level and the ball got deflected and he snagged it on the rebound. Before I even was aware that he had it he had done the same thing I would have. He gave it to a ten year old boy who was three seats down from us.

When you are in the upper deck and particularly in the front row along the railing it doesn't make sense to go lunging forward for a baseball. It should make even less sense in the light of the tragedy at the Ballpark in Arlington four days ago.

Fan Cheats the Reaper at Home Run Derby

The Ranger game tragedy was a man trying to reap a souvenir for his son. This was a man with his friends collecting balls. It wasn't a once in a lifetime thrill. It was a calculated exercise in greed. There is very little doubt in my mind that there was quite a bit of ten-buck a pint beer involved.

Darwin got cheated this time.

2 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

I agree. That one they should have just let go.

Billy Beck said...

The guy who died: if he's wearing proper shoes instead of American Douchebag flip-flops, his chances of staying on his feet increase to the point of his surviving that scene.

Dumbass.