Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Golden City on the Hill

I grew up being proud of America. It was easy in those days. My father, my uncles, our friends had all fought in World War II. Europe was liberated from Hitler and the barriers went up to contain Communism. Japan was occupied, democratized and industrialized. We rebuilt half the world after the war and then left them to their own successes. We probably only failed at being an oppressive colonial power. Which isn't a failing at all.

Why is it that the "modern" leftist is so embarrassed by his nation? What makes them unwilling to acknowledge that for most of the Twentieth Century the United States was a beacon of freedom and hope for the rest of the world?

Here's a dismantling of one of those apologist lefties who somehow misinterprets one of the classic movies of all time:

Play it, Sam. You could play it for her, you can play it for me.

I may have to dig that out.

No comments: