Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Living Bloglist

If you visit here, you've seen the list down the right side of the page under the heading "Regular Stops." It's my bloglist and the software allows the option of showing the header for the most recent postings on most of the sites. You probably notice as well that quite often the items I comment on are follow-ups to what I find when I go cruising the list.

It's a shameless adherence to Rule 2 of The Other McCain. He calls it "The Full Metal Jacket Reach-Around." If you want to get a million hits on your blog, you link to other good spots and that creates the viral marketing we've all come to know and love.

Regular readers here know that McCain offers a lot of insight and while I probably don't reach around as much as I should, I use his posts for a jumping off place on a lot of items. He's got an inside track that I can only envy.

The Regular Stops list is dynamic. It changes several times a week as sites come and go. If I encounter a worthwhile or interesting page, I'll add it to the list. If what attracted my interest doesn't persist over time, the link will disappear. Places that stagnate or troll or get monotonous are an endangered species.

Many blogs have lists. Some of them are incredibly long, almost as though the list owner simply feeds the list with any link he looks at. The length tells me two things. First, it is too long for the linker to frequent regularly and second, he isn't very discriminating with his additions. I try to avoid that. Hopefully my Regular Stops list won't waste your time.

Click on some of the links occasionally and see if what is there tickles your tastes. If it does, post a comment or bookmark the joint.

We all know that a tree falling in the wilderness with no one to hear it still makes a noise. What we also should know is that a blogger writing in a vacuum is wasting time and talent. Spread the word.

No comments: