Saturday, October 08, 2011

The Future & The Past

My second tour in the Vietnam War started with a disappointment about three and a half months after I arrived. A squadron which had a rich combat history written in blood and fully chromed in courage was summarily de-activated and mothballed. The memorabilia were packed in wooden boxes and shipped to a warehouse in St. Louis. So much for heritage and heroes.

Thirty-eight years later the squadron was re-activated at Sheppard AFB training future fighter pilots in the truly whiz-bang retro-fit of the venerable Talon, the T-38C. I spent the day with the 469th Fighting Bulls and have seen a bright future for the free world's fighter force. These people from top to bottom, from Wing King to entry-level nugget, are simply motivated, intelligent, dedicated, patriotic and competent.

It was my honor to be among them.

And lest I forget, I got to fly the simulator and the upgrade to C model is absolutely incredible. The info available at your fingertips is awesome. They've got it all from GPS nav to ring-laser kwik-align INS. They've got a lead-computing sight with weapons parameter cues for air-air training. They don't carry a SUU-21 bomb dispenser anymore. They've got it all programmed and with a weapon selected, they deliver with a video mark based on their parameters and pipper placement. It's all transportable back to the debrief with either front or rear cockpit views. 

Ohhhh to be 22 years old again and with a flying future in front of me. 

3 comments:

juvat said...

I don't know. There was always something satisfying when you saw the white smoke coming out of the target. Somehow, death dots doesn't seem to invoke that feeling. Besides, how do they correct for any errors during the flight?
As for the 22 and flying again, I'm all for that!

juvat said...

Not that I got to see the white smoke coming out of the target all that often, mind you.

Hippo said...

Hippo would also like to be 22 and flying again. Where do I sign up?