Saturday, May 01, 2010

A Beautiful Portrait of a Love

I grew up in an apartment and was never allowed to have a dog. I wanted one badly as all boys do. I won a puppy in a drawing at a Saturday movie matinee and brought him home only to have to accompany my mother to the pet store to return him. For two weeks after I would visit my short-term friend in the window of the store until he eventually was bought by someone with a house and yard.

I finally got a dog about the same time I got my second (and absolutely last because she's the best) wife. We bought a Siberian Husky from a pet store in Montgomery Alabama. He went with us to Germany and had travels to Switzerland, France and Belgium before returning to the US aboard the Queen Elizabeth II. A few weeks short of fourteen years old his time ran out. I did what needed to be done and then cried even though I had never cried at the loss of a human.

Shortly there was another Husky in my life. I lost my fourth one to cancer two years ago and made it for an entire six weeks before Inua Tikaani (Atabascan eskimo words for "spirit" and "lead wolf in the pack") came to live with me. He is frustrating and rewarding by turns, but always a joy to see.

Over at Warrior Class the "Six" writes very movingly about Trooper and what is happening. You must read it, but you will cry:

Waiting With a Friend

The time comes for all of us, dogs and people alike. We grasp the joy and love we can while it is here and we are saddened deeply when the end comes. My sympathies and best wishes go out to a man and his friend.

2 comments:

MagiK said...

My Condolences Ed. :(

Six said...

Thank you my friend.