Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Have You Got a Plan?

I often spend some time with a class talking about having a plan for bad things. Usually it comes when there's been one of those Virginia Tech or Fort Hood or University of Alabama news events. You know the ones I mean, the psycho-killer in a gun-free zone comes calling. So, read this for content:

I Thought None of Us Would Come Out Alive

The conference room is crowded for twelve people. That means everyone is close enough to reach out and touch. Shooter uncloaks and starts work. What happens?

Everyone cowers until shooter's gun jams. (Memo to self, before commencing jihad remember to clean and lube weapons.)

Brave Joe Ng, associate professor cowers in fear waiting for shooter to remember to "Tap, Rack, Shoot" and resume. A woman stands up and attacks the shooter. Nice work there, Joe.

The woman faces the shooter who points and fires but gun continues to malfunction. Woman then pushes shooter out of the room, apparently with the help of other academics, except for cowardly Joe Ng. They barricade the door and wait for shooter to deal with the delay and return to business.

Have a plan. Look for exits. Know lines of sight from windows and doorways. Size up your potential weapons, even if you are compliant with the ridiculous gun-free zone rules. What is near to hand that is pointed, heavy or swingable? Get your mind-set on every day when you face the world. You should know before the need that you will not be a victim today or tomorrow or ever.

Passively waiting to be dispatched is not my idea of how I'm going out.

3 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

I always have a plan. While the details of my plan will vary depending on the exact circumstances, the plan does not include inaction nor does it allow the aggressor to make the decisions about my fate. I will act, I will act decisively, and if I'm killed, mine will hopefully be the body surrounded by a pile of my own fired brass and lying atop that of my attacker. If there is no other option and I absolutely must go out to stop a threat to others, I will not go out alone.

MagiK said...

I can't believe there weren't enough men in a crowded room to tear the guy a part especially AFTER the gun jammed.....bunch of wussies.

Tam said...

I ain't goin' out like that.

Remember: Run from a knife, charge a gun.