Thursday, February 04, 2010

Real vs Staged

The spokesman for her record label is defending the performance at the Grammys, so I waded through the darkest intellectual morass of the archives of YouTube to see what the issue was.

The Duet That Sucked

I'll confess, I'm a fat, old, gray-haired curmudgeon who is out of the mainstream of modern music. I don't own a single rap or hip-hop song although I was tempted with Fergie's Boom-Boom-Pow which is arguably more techno than hip-hop. I don't watch award shows. Not Grammys or Tonys or Emmys or Oscars or CMA or whatever. I'd never heard a single Taylor Swift song.

But when you say that she won the major hardware and she's on stage with Stevie doing Rhiannon, then I'm a sucker for the show. Swift started out with one of her own compositions, "Today Was a Fairytale." When you've got lyrics about a girl saying it was a fairytale, because "I wore a dress, you wore a dark gray T-shirt" then you must ask where the level of "fairytale" begins. It was a high point that he wore a dark gray T-shirt? Really?

Then you can't miss the flat, toneless voice. I'll give latitude for live performance, but there must be some tone, texture, personality, emotion involved. And, don't get me started about the two chord guitar stroking.

When this vapid little girl stands next to the old lady who did this in her prime, I've got to go back to the original:



If you want the Swift performance, you can go here:

Making Bubblegum Profound In Five Flats and a Nasal Whine

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hat tip to Mr. R for the reminder of what good music sounds like.

Anonymous said...

I don't like Stevie Nickes or Fleetwood Trailerpark, but this is comparing apples and oranges. At least Fleetwood Trailorpark are musicians, and they were really really good musicians, actually, in the days before they put together their mid-70s superstar lineup of coked-out egomaniacs and the little meatball in the witch suit.

Trailer Swift is just crap. What else can be said? Oh yeah, the music industry SUCKS!