Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Riddle Me This

OK, I've seen The Untouchables. I know that income tax enforcement can sometimes be a violent enterprise. I've got no problem with the tax goons being equipped with necessary firearms.

Here's an RFP that shows what is desired:

Tactical Shotguns for Tax Collectors

A Remington 870 is a fine pump action shotgun and has long been a favorite for law enforcement use. It comes off-the-shelf for LEO sales with ghost ring sights, short barrel, extended magazine tube and extendable tactical stock. It is reliable, easy to maintain, familiar to most folks in the business.

My riddle is this:

Why isn't this a competitive bid contract? Why is it "small business set-aside"?

Here's my suspicious take on the issue. Remington Arms is clearly not "small business." So, the direct purchase from manufacturer at cost is taken off the table.

That means after-market retailer. But, that means a federal firearms license holder with LEO sales capability, not just Joe's Neighborhood Gun Emporium. The source is going to have to be a Cat III dealer.

When we find the list of small business set-aside qualified, LEO gun dealers I'm thinking we are going to find somebody who has a strong link to somebody in the executive branch.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I see no reason for small-business set-aside. It certainly isn't going to result in least cost acquisition. It looks suspiciously like a pay-off.

1 comment:

Tam said...

Remington most likely is a small business by .gov standards.

What's the cutoff now, 500 employees?