Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Special Invitation

I always said that I'd rather be lucky than good. I've been remarkably lucky during my life and a good thing appeared in my inbox yesterday afternoon. I'm still shaking my head about it and wondering how I can be so fortunate.

I got invited last year to a leadership symposium in Vail Colorado. It was a great opportunity but commitments and the short notice at that time precluded my attendance. Yesterday I got invited to this year's gathering. All expenses paid for a four day gathering to discuss politics, history, the nation, leadership and things that go bump in the night. The guest list I've seen so far is remarkable and it is only a handful of the roughly eighty attendees.

We'll be billeted, if that's even appropriate to use for residing in a place like this, in a little joint in Vail:

The Four Seasons--Vail

Meetings, round-table discussions, social activities, etc. will be at the host's home. The keynote speaker will be former President of Columbia, Alvaro Uribe. Astronaut Scott Carpenter will the there along with several former POWs, actor Ernest Borgnine and more. I'll update as I get the guest list.

This morning's email got me the offer to be picked up by executive charter jet for the trip. I'll ride along with the other guest who will be picked up from Auburn Alabama: Lt. Gen. Hal Moore (USA-Ret). I guess I'll have to dust off "We Were Soldiers Once" and study up on Ia Drang valley. Of course, we might just talk about Cam Newton's prospects in the NFL.

Now, how can I try to look and sound intelligent for four consecutive days? This is going to be hard!

7 comments:

Harry said...

My copy of We Were Soldiers Once and Young is signed by Joe Galloway. Do I have time to mail it off to you (with return shipping, of course) in a box full of bribes to get it signed?

bongobear said...

I suspect you'll aquit yourself very well, Ed. Just imagine what one of us old Marines would do - and do the opposite.

Ed Skinner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ed Skinner said...

Wow, I'm impressed! (Can I continue using "Ed" as my first name, too?)

Seriously, go and have fun. What an interesting group to be around!

Anonymous said...

This must have something to do with a certain book you co-authored. I think it had something to due with leadership. Just don't act like Robin would. WolfPack Jack.

Anonymous said...

When We Were Soldiers and Young is my favorite book and movie. Regardless of Mel Gibson's recent behavior he was magnifient in that movie. The movie is one of only a handful of movies that I can watch over and over. I still cry in parts. Salute the General for all of us. WolfPackJack

Anonymous said...

AMEN