Monday, February 07, 2011

Super Bowl Observations

I wanted the Pack to win. I'm from the NFC Central Division and I grew up deep in the Bears/Packers rivalry. My first wife's family all came from Door County Wisconsin! If it couldn't be the Bears, it had to be the Packers. Besides, I don't like thugs or sexual predators, particularly if they are 6'5" and 280 pounds and millionaires. So, the Steelers weren't even close for me.

I hate blow-outs and the game was not a blow-out although until the last minute of the first half it looked as though it might be. I do like well-executed teams that look like championship caliber and that wasn't apparent. I also like to wonder just a bit what the next play is going to be. With the Pack, I didn't need to worry. It would be a pass. No running game showed up.

What kind of person spends $300 to stand in a freezing rain outside a stadium for five hours, buying $10 beers and watching a Jumbotron? Is it the thrill of the four hour traffic jam afterward that gets you out of your comfortable home or a friendly sports bar? Maybe waiting in line for a Porta-Potti?

Why do we keep contracting vacuous air-head rock stars to sing the Star Spangled Banner? We know that they will butcher the melody and yesterday, Christina Aguilera butchered the words as well.

Although I'm not particularly a fan of hip-hop music, I am fascinated by the high tech pop of the Black-Eyed Peas. They get me tapping my feet in spite of myself. The choreography, staging, energy and enthusiasm of the half-time show was incredible. But, couldn't they get the light stage to work after all that rehearsal? When you spell out LOVE and the entire right side of the V is blacked out, you are going to have people notice.

Can't Usher get a pair of bloomers that don't look like a baggy union-suit that MC Hammer wore under his harem pants twenty-five years ago?

Could Slash have maybe given us some new licks?

Is there no one in advertising anymore with a sense of humor that revolves around more than bodily discharges and groin kicks? The ads sucked--except for the Budweiser cowboy breaking out in song.

3 comments:

MagiK said...

Umm just because we root for the Steelers does not mean we condone sexual abuse, nor approve of the private behavior of any particular player...there are undoubtedly so less than sparkling clean acts on the side of both Professional Sports teams.

LauraB said...

My sister said there was a seat malfunction issue so they gave people 3 x value of ticket and kicked them to the outside.

Maybe they overbooked.LOL Regardless, I don't think it was a "bowl" level of playing...we supported our family cheesehead but it was a kind of bleh game, I thought...

MagiK said...

The seating issue was due to the Fire Marshal vetoing a bunch of extra seats that were crammed in.
It should have been inspected before they sold those tickets.