Friday, July 22, 2011

Wiley Clapp TALO Commander

Is this pretty or what? No, Wiley Clapp's name isn't scrolled on it. This is the left side and there is virtually nothing on the right side of the slide. The company nomenclature is "21st Century Commander" and it is a well thought-out very update 1911 with all the goodies you need and none that you don't...at least according to Clapp.

The brass bead sight seems a bit old-fashioned but it simply pops out at you as though it were really a golden LED. Pretty amazing.

The grips taper at the forward edge and the aggressive front strap checkering flows right into the grip surface and creates probably the best non-slip surface I've ever felt.

Just the thing to start hinting to Santa Claus about if you are one of those folks who still needs a 1911. Maybe I should sell a Kimber? I get bad thoughts whenever I stop at my local gun-shop. But the folks there are fun to talk to and you get to touch neat things.

6 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Pardon me while drool on the way to take a cold shower.... That is one nice lookin' heater.

nzgarry said...

Oh yes, that's a beauty.
It's great to see the centennial editions of this magnificent weapon on the market.

hitman said...

Nice, but I guess I'll keep my Kimber tactical custom II. Next on my list is a FN SLP shotgun to replace my old Franchi Law 12. I loved that gun, even if it did kick like a mule.

Six said...

Ed. This is your shoulder Devil, er.....Angel (yeah, that's the ticket) speaking.
You need this gun.
You want this gun.
Buy this gun.
Then invite your friend Six out to shoot it. He's a great guy who only ever says nice things about you. I swear.

an Donalbane said...

That checkered frontstrap, to me, is in itself a work of art, haven't made my mind up about the scalloped treatment carrying it over to the left panel.

As highly as I regard Kimber, the straightforward approach here on the slide serrations is much preferable to the fishscale treatment, but I suppose that's subject to personal preference.

Ed Rasimus said...

Donald, I've got two Kimbers. A full-size Classic and a 4" Elite Carry. Both are circa 1998. Love them both.

But a lot of the gun experts I talk to tell me that success has cost Kimber in terms of quality. Their continual churn of products and incredible advertising budget have exceeded their quality control. A lot of people are unhappy with recent Kimbers.

And Six, your shoulder Devil prevailed. Of course I took it home.