Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Why It's Neater to Fly Fighters



I've never been attracted to transports. Airline pilots make a lot of money, but it is simply driving a giant bus...maybe we could call it an Airbus! Military trash-haulers do an important job, but I'm glad it wasn't me. I'll freely admit that I've never had a pleasant flight on a GI trash dumper. They all sucked, even the MAC contract "airline" flights. Somehow when MAC got involved it seemed they went out of their way to inconvenience you. I never did figure out how all of their scheduled flights could start and end in the middle of the night somewhere.

Now take a look at the Grizzly. I mean that takes ugly to a whole new level. Read the "Factbox" analysis and pay attention to the part about the counter-rotating props on each engine pair which lessen the rudder requirement in case of an engine loss during a critical phase of flight.

Double The Software Code, Double Your Flying Fun

Does the tail on that picture above look like it's smaller than it could be? Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce together don't have that much butt.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

"Jennifer Lopez and Beyonce together don't have that much butt." HA! I respectfully disagree.

Like you, I've never gawked lovingly at transports, but watched a C-17 Globemaster at Sun-n-Fun (in April) do a take-off, as well as land (and stop!), within about 200 yds. Considering its size, I was impressed, I admit.

bongobear said...

This thing looks a lot like a C-17 with turboprops.

TheOtherLarry said...

Admit it, Ed, if you aren't driving the boat yourself, you're just not interested.

Ralph said...

Raz,

You picked the Helen Thomas of all transports and now you want to call a beauty contest? Fighters are nice, but so are 2/3/4 engine Boeings. You just never recovered from your T-29 checkout and the not-so-nice policies of MAC. In any event, how about a nice in-flight image of an AT-38 for your loyal readers?

Six said...

I think that makes you a planeist Raz. Probably a G related illness.

Don't worry though, I'm sure the administration has a nice federal program to 'cure' you. Before you know it you'll be touting the benefits of C130's and the new super Airbus and apologizing for your fighter pilot days. Which were obviously aimed solely at making the other pilots feel bad and were clearly afterburnercentric in nature and not fair besides.

I'm making a nice tin foil hat for you right now.

Tam said...

To a young AFJROTC Tamara, angling for a slot at Colorado Springs:

O-5: "You know they don't let women fly fighters.But you could fly transports, and maybe someday soon..."

Tam: "Then I don't want to be in your stupid Air Force! I don't wanna be a flying bus driver!"

There are times I wish I had a time machine just so I could go back in time and slap the snot out of 16-y.o. me...

Ed Rasimus said...

Tam, I know a lot of incredible "Fighter Chicks" now flying Vipers and Eagles. Pretty soon Raptors as well.

Tam said...

I have deliberately not tried to find out if anyone from the Class of '90 was among them. :o