Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Ox Being Gored

The bleating was predictable and a rational person can only believe that the ludicrous basis of the liberal position will be clear to the common man who, it should be remembered, votes.

Scenario one:

A sunny day in Papago Park near Tempe AZ. A family is strolling through the zoo. Man, wife, two cute children entranced by the opportunity to see a real elephant, lion and orangutan. Two Maricopa county sheriff's deputies approach the man.

"Pedro, what do you think you're doing here. Let me see your papers. You're one of those damned illegals, aren't you."

"Excuse me, officer? My name is John Walker and I work at Tempe motors as a mechanic. I'm here with my family."

"Sure, Juan, let's see your proof of citizenship."

John left his wallet in the car. Within seconds he is handcuffed and hauled off to jail as his wife and children stand crying in the park. It may be hours, days or weeks before they see John again. He may be deported for no good reason other than being Hispanic.

Scenario two:

A 1997 Cadillac, rusty and badly in need of a wash, is weaving down Camelback Road. The Scotsdale PD stops the car and approaches the driver.

"Excuse me, sir, do you know why I stopped you?"

"No."

"You were weaving in traffic and crossed the centerline several times. Could you show me your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance?"

"I don't got none."

The first situation is one which the bleaters are posing as the commonality under the new law. The second is one which we are all familiar with, which we have faced for as long as I can remember, and which doesn't result in any loss of Constitutional protections under the current court rulings. Which is more likely in Arizona?

How does the situation change when a law enforcement officer has "reasonable" suspicion that someone is an illegal immigrant? Isn't the very term "illegal" one that justifies the officer proceeding with his investigation after an encounter for probable cause?

I'm afraid that the pleas for sympathy from a group which is trying to defend the indefensible are falling on deaf ears.

No comments: