Thursday, July 05, 2012

Democratic Party Lobbying Firm Helps DOJ

Just show a valid picture ID if you want to vote in Texas. What's so tough about that?

Well, if you really aren't who you say you are or you really aren't a qualified voter, then the current administration really would like that requirement to go away.

Caught in the Cookie Jar

Possibly the funniest line in what really is an unfunny situation is this one:
"(A) Hispanic registered voter is at least 45.6 percent, and potentially 120.0 percent, more likely than a non-Hispanic registered voter to lack (state-issued) identification," the head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, Tom Perez, told Texas officials in a letter in March. "Even assuming the data most favorable to the state, Hispanics disproportionately lack either a driver's license or a personal identification card issued by (the state), and that disparity is statistically significant."
How can you be more than 100% more likely to not have a valid ID? You either have one or you don't.

2 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Of course if you don't have a photo ID, that begs the question "why not?"

It also makes me wonder how you drive a car, open a bank account, cash a check anywhere or even rent a video for the evening.

Everyone lawfully in our country today either has a photo ID or can get one if they want one.

Mike Kopack said...

120%? Must be the new math... They attempted to pass a voter ID law here in NC, I believe it was last year. The legislature agreed to wave the fee on the ID cards (and were even able to find the funding to cover it all) before it was vetoed by our Governor.

In the spring when I voted in the primary, I told the poll worker my name and she handed me my ballot. As I was walking away I realized the ballot wasn't mine - I could have voted that one, gotten back in line and voted my own (and then could have just kept going giving my neighbor's names). That's no way to run an election.

As Murphy said, everyone in our country legally can get an ID. No excuse to not have to show ID to vote.