Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Hat

I got this picture yesterday from the son of my fighter pilot mentor, Bill Loyd. He took his son to the National Museum of the US Air Force and while enjoying the newly established 100 Mission Over North Vietnam display he stumbled upon this:



We wore the jungle hat in F-105 squadrons operating out of Thailand and we recorded our combat missions with hashmarks around the band. When you got 100 hashmarks you got to go home. Fully sixty percent of the guys that inked the first hash never logged the 100th.

My hat has 100 hashmarks on the band starting at the front and another ten that didn't count for NVN credit starting at the back. I was very fortunate to have had great leadership in my squadron and I unabashedly acknowledge my debt to them for my survival.

When I returned to Thailand in 1972, flying the F-4E, the jungle hats were no longer worn, but we were still flying against NVN so I took my hat with me and continued logging. I got another fifty marks in a second row above the first and ninety more non-counter combat missions marked from the rear of the hat which is now displayed at the museum. The total is 250 of the marks.

It is an honor for the hat to be on display at the museum and if you take a closer look you'll see that I get an even greater honor by having my meager effort acknowledged next to a photo of Robin Olds whose MiG-kill marked F-4D, Scat XXVII, is displayed nearby.

3 comments:

John said...

I just discovered your blog and other website a couple of days ago through postings on In From the Cold. Thanks for telling these stories and sharing with the world. I'll be looking for the books.

flounderjig said...

Thunder tales posting from Western Rifle Shooters, the hat. Dad did a tour in Karat in 68 to 70 and brought me back one of those hats. He was enlisted USAF. I never realized the significance of that hat or what in represented until now.

Kevin said...

I've got my Dad's hat - it is one of my most prized possessions. He flew out of Korat in '67, starting w/ the 421st and later the 44th TFS. Shot down July 2nd, rescued, but beauracratic regs kept him from flying combat again. Ended up training South Vietnamese in Tweets out of England AFB.
My Dad was my hero; a king in my eyes...and that boonie hat his crown!
Ed, that's a hell of a honor. Congrats!