Senate In Party Line Vote Acts Sensibly
Naturally the academic nambies are all in a twist by the very idea that there MIGHT be a gun in their presence with such a law. It was incredible to watch PhDs with massive intellects argue against the proposal with such lame propositions:
- I'll feel uncomfortable knowing there might be a gun around.
- Somehow you don't feel uncomfortable at the mall, the grocery store, the movies and Mickie D's surrounded by half a million CHL holding Texans?
- Somehow you don't understand that there are guns around you even in gun-free zones because criminals don't follow the rules?
- We won't be any safer with trained/armed/background-checked CHL holders among us.
- But you're OK with untrained/armed/bad-guys among you?
- You're confident that campus police will be there to bail you out?
- You don't remember that the community college campus doesn't have any campus police?
- You know that crawling under a desk with your butt in the air will make you invisible and the deranged shooter will pass you by?
- Police won't be able to distinguish the bad-guy shooter from good-guys trying to help.
- But they can distinguish at the bank, the mall, the grocery store, the movies, etc.?
- You believe you can survive for several minutes of undefended shooting by a nut-job until the police arrive, set up a perimeter and don their SWAT gear?
I've been in the community college teaching business for about 14 years now. I've got it very clear in my mind that some of these kids are already well off the tracks. Their realities are badly skewed and one takes their word only if extremely naive. They do what they want, they have an expectation of getting away with things and their view of how to correct situations is badly shaped by video games, movies and hip-hop music. I've spent class sessions talking about "what-if" scenarios for my classes and encouraged them to think in Condition Yellow (I don't use that term though as it is politically incorrect, Col. Cooper.)
It will be good to carry legally on campus in the future.